The World Health Organization (WHO) in commemoration of the World Health Day on April 7th this year adopted the theme- Universal Health Coverage (UHC): Everyone, Everywhere. The team of Medical Students who make up the activity called “Health Compass” wish to explain the concept of Universal Health Coverage.
According to the World Health Organization, UHC means that-
- All people and communities can use the promotive, preventive, curative, rehabilitative and palliative health services they need; of sufficient quality to be effective while also ensuring that the use of these services does not expose the user to financial hardship. Three related goals are explained from this statement which include-
EQUITY IN ACCESS TO HEALTH SERVICES
Everyone who needs services should get them not only them who can pay for them
The quality of health services should be good enough to improve the health of those receiving services.
People should be protected against financial risk ensuring that the cost of using services does not put people at risk of financial harm.
In Nigeria however, though there is no implementation of the World Health Organization’s masterplan of Universal Health Coverage, a model for effective and efficient Health delivery has been designed in the National Health Insurance Scheme.
This involves contributions paid for healthcare benefits of an employee, his/her spouse and four biological children below 18 years. Those above 18 years are covered by the Tertiary Insurance Scheme.
Those registered under the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) have access to
- Outpatient care including consumables
- Prescribed drugs, pharmaceutical care and diagnostic tests
- Maternity care for up to 4 live births under the formal sector program
- Preventive care including Immunization
- Consultations with specialists
- Hospital can be a standard ward limited to 15 days per year
- Eye examination and care
- A range of prostheses (limited to artificial limbs produced in Nigeria)
- Preventive dental care and pain relief
It is very cheap subscribing to the NHIS program and saves you the out of pocket stress when you need medical care urgently and have less funds. Hence, we recommend you subscribe and enjoy the benefits. Meanwhile, we hope to meet Universal Health Coverage in Nigeria.
Visit our Facebook page @Health Compass for health updates