Nigerian Recipe: How to cook fried rice.
Table of Contents
Have you ever wondered how one of the most delicious delicacies (fried rice) is cooked? Fried rice is a delicacy prepared and enjoyed across the world now. So here we will put together a step by step guide on how to cook Nigerian Fried Rice just for you.
Fried rice has various recipes which are equally mouth-watering. But we know the majority of Africans favor the Nigerian fried rice, so here is a little guide in how to cook the yummy Nigerian style. With this article, I can assure you will cook the best fried rice ever! So, just relax, and take it one step at a time.
- Rice: Preferably about 6 cups of white rice or less
- Turkey or Chicken (use any one you prefer or both)
- Liver or beef( or both)
- Green peas
- 2-3 large green pepper
- Garlic, ginger
- A large bulb of onions
- seasoning cubes
- Vegetable oil
- Curry powder
- Salt to taste
As already stated above, there are many ways to cook fried rice. while some require cooking the rice and then adding oil and vegetables, others need parboiling the rice then frying it, and then adding the stock and vegetable to give you a delicious fried rice. All these recipes are unique and good but today, I want to show you my recipe on how to cook fried rice that’ll give you a delicious and mouth-watering fried rice. I hope you enjoy this, every step of the way.
- First, you need to prepare your stock. The stock should either be chicken or turkey that has been well-flavored. Stock is very essential in cooking fried rice. It does not only give taste but essence to your fried rice. Making your stock is not difficult at all, you have to simmer your chicken or turkey or whatever meat. Add seasoning, salt, pepper and curry to it. Allow it to steam then add more water when done and steam for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Next, filter the stock with a skillet, because what you need at this point is the broth of the stock. The chicken, Turkey or meat can be fried later if desired.
- Then cook your liver and season it. Cut them into tiny squares when cold. Beef is a very good alternative. Keep that aside too.
- Now, you come back to cutting your vegetables into desired sizes that is your green peas, carrots, green pepper and onions, keep these aside too, this is the beginning when you want to cook fried rice.
- Now that you are done with all the preparations, parboil the rice for some minutes. Watch out so as not to let it too soft. Then sieve the rice in a skillet to drain the water to remove the excess accumulation of starch.
- After you have filtered the rice, keep it in a clean bowl then place your pot on fire until its dry.
- Then pour in your vegetable oil into the pot, in a minute quantity.
- Next you put your onions, not all of them though, save some for later because you’re not done.
- Then pour in your stock water, the one you filtered, into the pot and stir.
- Now add your seasoning, ginger and garlic( you must have already grated the ginger and garlic if it was in a bulb. Powder ginger and garlic will do too).
- Pepper, salt to taste and curry powder. You put all these in the steaming pot of fried rice.
- Finally when stock tastes good enough, you pour in your parboiled rice and stir. Allow the food to simmer for some minutes till the water in pot is all dried up.
- Once all the water in the fried rice is dried up, you can finally add your vegetables and liver. It is preferable to put the vegetables when the water is all dried up in the rice, so the vegetable will be fresh and sumptuous.
- Your vegetables which include your carrots, green peas, and green pepper.
- After you’ve added your veggies, your stir the rice. The reason you’re stirring the rice is to make sure the vegetables are well spaced, am sure you don’t need your veggies clumped to a particular side of the fried rice.
- Stir carefully and tactfully.
- Then your fried rice is all done.
- You may want to serve it with salad or anything of choice.
I hope this simple step by step procedure on how to cook Nigerian fried rice went a long way to help. So, don’t be afraid to try this simple recipe and trust me, you will get amazing results.