Happiness is not a distant bird somewhere in the bush. It is, most often, perching right upon our shoulder. We only fail to recognize it until it flies away or is taken away. I once read where happiness was said to be that feeling that comes over you when you know life is good and you can’t help but smile.
The universal law of cause and effect states that, for every effect, there is a definite cause.
Therefore, for every state of happiness(effect), there are definite causes (body chemicals). Our thoughts, behaviors and, actions stimulate specific chemicals in the body which create feelings of happiness characterized by joy, wellbeing and satisfaction.
Knowledge of these happiness chemicals and how to boost them could be the key to being and remaining happy at all times.
Also nicknamed, ‘pleasure hormone’. This dude motivates you to work hard while ensuring you remain focused and alert. It also serves as the fuel driving the ‘Reward system’ of the brain. Excess dopamine is said to be unhealthy as it leads to addiction. However, you can use this to your advantage by getting addicted to good things and habits that make you and your society happy.
How to boost Dopamine:
Table of Contents
- Set realistic goals and achieve them. Goals as little as washing your dishes immediately after use, washing your hands with soap and water after using the restroom, eating fruits every Tuesday evening, etc. would do.
- Getting praised when you’ve done a good job
- Engaging in activities that positively impact your life and makes you feel fulfilled
- Listening to those music that give you chills down your spine. I’m talking about music you love
- Eat foods rich in protein.
Do you need to boost your self esteem, minimize worries, depression and mood swings? You wouldn’t wanna miss out on serotonin. It increases your feelings of love and trust while making you sociable.
How to boost Serotonin:
- Engage regularly in aerobic exercises
- It doesn’t hurt to fantasize about things sometimes! Paint mental pictures of your future, the kind of house you want to live, the type of car you desire to drive (for me, I want a driverless super-fast car that can swim and fly!). Think about how rich and happy you’ll be.
- Apart from thinking about the future, relinquish on sweet past moments you’ve had with your family, friends, partner, etc.
- Carbohydrates and sweet foods boost your serotonin levels. However, for the sake of your well being, stick healthy foods like high-fibers and whole grains
This is a natural pain killer and a mood booster. Endorphins are the body’s own paracetomol. They help reduce the perception of pain. They also trigger a positive feeling in you, giving you a positive outlook of life. So, when next someone hurts your feelings, inflicting pains on you, quickly go get yourself a glass of endorphin.
How to boost Endorphins:
- Eat spicy foods like hot peppers, etc.
- Eat dark chocolate or cocoa
- Engage in regular anaerobic exercises and low impact aerobic exercises like moderate jogging, walking, yoga, dancing, etc.
- Engage in games like tennis, biking, swimming
Also known as ‘Love Hormone’. It is secreted more in women than men. Little wonder, women easily get happy than men.
How to boost Oxytocin:
- Spend time with someone or people you love like your family, friends, partner, children, colleagues, etc
- Get a massage from someone you love
- Cuddle someone you love
- Loving touches and caresses
- Hugging someone or anything like a teddy-bear or a pillow
- Be intentionally kind to others
- Manage stress well
It is found more in women. It functions as a chaperone, assisting in the production of oxytocin. Thus, it helps boost oxytocin levels. Menopause onset decreases estrogen levels.
How to boost Estrogen:
- Yoga, meditation, a hot bath, anything that helps you relieve stress is a sure booster
- Avoid frequent extreme exercises. This applies especially to ladies..
While you sleep, progesterone stays awake to help you enjoy your sleep. Moreso, it helps prevent anxiety, irritability and bouts of mood swings. However, progesterone level drops around 35 – 40 years of age.
How to boost Progesterone:
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoid excess stress.
- As much as you can, stay away from food containing saturated fat and sugar
How to boost Melatonin:
- Melatonin rich foods like walnuts, almonds, pineapples, oranges, bananas, etc
- Exposure to bright light in the day helps boost melatonin levels at night
- Enjoy Vitamin D form morning sunshine
- Lavender scents can be placed in your room. It helps induce relaxation
- Reduce exposure to blue light emanating from your smartphone, computer and TV screens.
How to boost phenylethylamine:
- Eat chocolates😋😘
In summary, if you want to boost your happiness hormones:
- Exercise regularly
- Properly manage stress
- Eat foods rich in fibers, whole grains, protein, vitamins, etc.
- Avoid foods containing saturated fats and excess sugars
- Eat plenty of fruits. Most are good antioxidants.
- Sleep well
- Set and achieve realistic goals
- Love someone, hug someone, cuddle someone. Spend time with loved ones
- Engage in activities that will help make your world a happy place. A happy world makes a happy you.