Profile Of Mercy Funmilayo Adesanya – Davies
Table of Contents
Professor Mercy Funmilayo Adesanya – Davies is a Nigerian Politician, Educationist, Author, Linguist and Bishop of Agape Bible Church, Rivers State, Nigeria. She is a native of Ira Town, Kwara State. Worthy of mention is the fact that she is a recipient of the UN -POLAC World Peace Ambassadorial Award.
Olufunmilayo is a Professor of Divinity (Honoris Causa) of the Northwestern Christian University, Florida. She holds a Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Linguistics and Communication Studies. Additionally, Mrs. Adesanya – Davies is an academic consultant, and a former Director of the Centre for Vocational Skills, Entrepreneural and General Studies. She has numerous engagements in notable academic institutions across Africa, The United Kingdom, US and Canada. She has authored some works. Notable among them is The Jonathan/Sambo Presidency in Nigeria: A Symbol of Peace, Unity and Progress.
Funmi took the World by storm in January 2018 by announcing her intention to run for the Presidency of Nigeria in the 2019 Elections. According to her, she first had presidential intentions in 2015. She believes the number 15 very special to her. This is as she was born on October 15. She also got married coincidentally on October 15. She holds an indifferent political view of the present administration of President Muhammadu Buhari. While declaring her intention, she campaigned for support, for the present government. In spite of this, she is a PDP member.
Funmilayo Adesanya – Davies, was born on October 15, 1962 in Ira, Kwara State, Nigeria. She is a Princess, as she was born into the royal family of Susan and Isaac Salako, nee Adepoju.
Early Life and Education
Funmi started her academic journey at Saint Clare’s Grammar School, Offa. Afterwards, she enrolled at Queen Elizabeth Secondary School, Ilorin, Kwara State.
After her Secondary education, Funmilayo proceeded to the University of Ife – now Obafemi Awolowo University. Here, she bagged a Bachelor of Arts in English and Yoruba in 1985. Two years later, she was awarded a Masters Degree in English Language by the University of Ilorin. She eventually moved on to the University of Port Harcourt, where she completed her Doctorate Degree in Applied Linguistics and Communication in 2003. Owing to her love for education, she enrolled and got a Post Graduate Diploma in Education. She has however reached the peak of academics, as far as her field is concerned.
Marriage and Personal Life
Bishop Funmi is married, with kids. According to her, she met her husband, Pastor Femi Adesanya after her NYSC. They later got married on her birthday. Pastor Femi is the senior pastor of Agape Bible Church. She is based in Port Harcourt. Her address is 14 Agape Avenue, Presidential Estate, Port Harcourt.
Mercy has a passion for teaching and mentoring. She does that through her academic and church ministries.
Prof Olufumilayo Davies officially joined politics as an ardent member of the ACCORD Party in Kwara State. She has remained there for years, until she joined PDP.
According to her, she has a good relationship with ex President Goodluck Jonathan. She is quoted as saying Goodluck Jonathan refused to dump Sambo in her stead, despite several several text messages to his number.
She also claims to be close to two former presidential candidates – Sarah Jubril and Remi Sonaya. Sarah is coincidentally from Kwara State. Also, Remi was her lecturer at OAU. She is the founder of KOWA Party.
Bishop Davies co pastors Agape Bible Church together with her husband. Notably, she was born again in 1974.However, Funmi started the journey as a chapel prefect in School. She founded Agape Bible Church in 1988. Now, she preaches even outside her church.
She is a member of the Christian Association of Nigeria. Also, she is the secretary to the Elders Council of the National Supreme Council for Ecclesiastical Affairs.
Mrs Adesanya-Davies facilitates Seminars and Workshops for Longman Pearson, Nigeria. She also has Cinefores, Brainfriend Project and NOUN on her books. She meanwhile served on sabbatical, as a Dean at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences of Regent University of Science and Technology, Accra. She was also employed as a Visiting Professor to the University of Cape Coast Cape Coast, Ghana. Mercy facilitates Seminars and Workshops for Longman Pearson, Seminar Presentations and Workshops. Port Harcourt, and Cinefores, Brainfriend Project, Lagos, Nigeria. She has over one hundred national and international published articles and poems to her credit and has delivered several scholarly, professional and public lectures in Nigeria, Africa, UK, Europe, United States, Canada, etc. (within and outside Nigeria. Mercy is a member of; The British Association for Applied Linguistics (UK), Internationale de Linguistiquee (AILA), International Phonetics Association, UK.,, Linguistic Association of Nigeria (LAN) Nigeria, The Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), and Teachers Registration Council (TRC) Nigeria etc. She also serves as External Examiner supervising Doctoral dissertations, for the School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Spill Leadership Award for Education and Capital Development Drive in Nigeria (2012); Honors of Ambassador of Peace of Universal Federation of Peace (Nigeria Chapter) ( 2012) at the International day of Peace, with the Debate theme “Can there be Peace in our Region?”, The Best Adjudicator Award at the South-South Universities Debate Championship held at the University of Calabar, Nigeria in June, (2012), with the theme Nigerian Oil: In search of Good Governance;
- Human Capital Development and Good Governance Award (2013) of The Spill Magazine, Nigeria.
- UN-POLAC World Peace Ambassador Award (Amb.P.) 2013.
- Nigeria Woman of Excellence Merit Award, (WEMA) 2014 with the theme ‘Women Inspiring Positive Change’ in commemoration of international Women’s Day (IWD)
- African Achievers Merit Award by The Africa Media Excludes, Accra, Ghana, 2014;
- Great African Legacy Award by Noble Global News Magazine, Dubai, UAE, 2014.
- The Majesty Magazine’s Legend of Courage Award’, 2014.
- Positive Change’ in commemoration of international Women’s Day (IWD), 2014
- African Achievers Merit Award by The Africa Media Executives, Accra, Ghana, 2014
- Great African Legacy Award by Noble Global News Magazine, Dubai, UAE, 2014
- Nigeria Woman of the Year Award, Transcorp Hilton, Abuja, 2014
- Nelson Mandela Life of Legendary Achievement Medal Award, Dubai, UAE, 2014
- Kwara’s Foremost Scientists and Thinkers Award, Kwara State, Nigeria, 2015
- Catholic Daouses Merit Award, Erin-Ile, Kwara State, 2016
- Prestigious African Icon Legacy Award Johannesburg, South Africa, 2017.
- Universal Federation Ambassador of Peace Award. Nigeria
- The Best Adjudicator Award- South–South University Debate Championship, University of Calabar
- Human Capital Development and Good Governance Award, Abuja, Nigeria
- Legend of Courage Award, Merit house, Abuja, Nigeria
- UN-POLAC World Peace Ambassador Award (Amb.P.) Merit house, Abuja, Nigeria
- Nigeria Woman of Excellence Merit Award, (WEMA), with the theme ‘Women Inspiring
- World Ambassador For Christ Award (WAFC ) 2017.